Monday, February 4, 2013

Did Ya Catch That Show Last Night?


Way to go Ravens, huh? Right? Isn’t that who won the Super Bowl last night? I honestly have no idea. I didn’t even know who was playing until yesterday at church when the pastor asked who everyone was rooting for.

Mr. Bug and I took the munsters with us to a Super Bowl party at a friend’s house with a bunch of other friends from church and we hung out there for a while. He sat on the sectional watching the game with a bunch of other guys and I ate way too much junk food and chatted with the ladies and kept an eye on the kiddos. Like I said, I had no interest in watching the game and really couldn’t have cared less.

I used to like watching the commercials. I used to think the halftime show was fun and entertaining. But then last year we watched part of the Super Bowl with our kids and I think that changed things for me.

I found myself having to keep changing the channel during the commercials because some of the content wasn’t anything I wanted my little girls to see. Don’t get me wrong, some of the commercials were really funny and very clever, but it seems like anymore they just settle for cheap toilet humor and girls in bikinis. Are there 14-year-old boys writing these commercials?

When last year’s halftime show with Madonna rolled around, I was excited to have the girls see this performer that I had grown up hearing. I really should have known better! After a couple of comments from my sweet girls about how Madonna and the dancers in the halftime show “don’t look very modest,” we eventually just shut off the game. What’s the point anyway, right?

I have been on Facebook today and seen one or two articles about how bad some of last night’s commercials were. GoDaddy is gross. Some guy wanted his favorite t-shirt back so bad he risked waking up the random girl he slept with to get it back. Beyonce danced around provocatively in her underwear. The more I read, the happier I am that the kids and I missed it.

There is no call to action or anything here. The companies that made the more offensive ads are unlikely to change their marketing strategies, the halftime shows will probably continue to feature shapely girls dancing around in various stages of undress, and the entire program will include topics and images I don’t want my kids to see. The best I can do is to protect them as much as I can and try to teach them about what they might see out in ‘the real world.’ Good luck to all of us! : )

If you’ve got any suggestions for me as to how to explain any of these images to my munsters, I’d love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS