Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Late Night Insanity

I don’t like to shop. I know that’s weird coming from a female, but it’s the cold, hard truth. There are some exceptions to this though. I LOVE shopping for my kids. Almost anything is cute in a size 6 months (for Judah) and in 4T-5T (for the girls). I also really enjoy shopping for my home and for crafty items. Hmm…maybe I should edit my original statement to “I don’t like to shop for myself.”

There’s something about buying something that’s just for me that seems inherently selfish. I mean, there are plenty of things that my family could use that I should be putting that money toward, right? The idea of buying a shirt/purse/outfit, etc that only I will use doesn’t quite seem fair.

But last night I did it. I went nuts. Nuts I tell you! I bought myself—wait for it—a new wallet! I know, I know. It’s just crazy. : ) I have to admit I felt like such a rebel when I clicked on the ‘Add to Shopping Cart’ button. And even more when I entered in my shipping information. Then came the credit card info and I could feel my heart start to pound. And when I finally clicked that ‘Place Order’ button, I literally threw my arms up in the air and cheered, “Oh yeah!” (Just like Vector in Despicable Me).



So why this sudden bout of selfish abandon? Well, it was time for a new wallet. The one that I currently have is about two years old and even though I love the colors and funky look of it, the fact that I have to hold it shut with one of my daughter’s elastic hair ties is too much for even me. I’ve been surviving that way for a while, but yesterday morning when I was at the mall with the kids shopping for—not me, I noticed the sales clerk giving me a funny look when I removed the purple hair tie from my wallet while searching for my debit card. I had to draw the line. No one was noticing how cute my wallet was anymore. All they could see was that darn purple hair tie. Curse curse curse.


After much deliberation, (I honestly thought about it all afternoon) I decided it was time for a new one and set out to find the perfect wallet out there on the World Wide Web. I checked out etsy.com where I found a couple of neat options, looked on Buckle.com just for old time’s sake (Mr. Bug used to work there), did a search at Amazon.com, and finally just punched ‘wallet for women’ into Google. Blessed Google. : )

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78960216/yellow-leather-clutch-and-wallet

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81693712/stephanie-womens-wallet-in-blue?ref=cat3_gallery_8

http://www.buckle.com/nicole-lee-signature-trifold-wallet/prd-61180EM4311/sku-9550700000

And there it was. Those magic words: FOSSIL® Wallets - Iconic American Style - Est. 1984 | Fossil.com. Cue chorus of angels just like when I walk into Target. Fossil is pretty much my ideal for casual awesomeness. I know there are lots of other brands that are fancier and more stylish, but for me it’s always been just the right style.

I checked out the site and looked at a few different wallets. I thought about going for one solid color, a.k.a. boring, and ultimately decided on this one. Drum roll please…

http://www.fossil.com/en_US/shop/women/wallets/checkbook_wallets/key_per_zip_clutch-sl2900p.html?parent_category_rn=249509&departmentCategoryId=30000&N=0&Ns=p_wsc3%7C0%7C%7Cp_weight%7C0&pn=c&rec=8&imagePath=SL2900202

BOOM! It’s definitely more money than I would usually spend on myself, but I figured that since it’s higher quality I’ll probably have it for a few years. And if I use it even just once a day for two years, that brings the cost per use down to about half a cent. Even I can justify that to my cheapskate inner self! : )

So there you have it. My late-night wallet-shopping insanity. Now I’m just counting down the hours until I see that magical little package in the mail. I can just imagine the little angel song when I open that mailbox…

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS