Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pinterest Challenge! Spring Door Wreath

I am a faithful Young House Love and Bower Power stalker reader, and for the past couple of years they have put on an unofficial Pinterest Challenge. The challenge, according to them, is to “stop pinning and start doing” one of the hundreds of pins on your Pinterest boards.
 
In the past I have simply read the posts and thought, Gee whiz guys, it sure would be fun to participate in this! (You have to read that like Beaver Cleaver.) But I’ve never actually gotten up and done it! So silly! Pinterest is my go-to for inspiration for everything! Birthday parties, dinner, décor ideas, all kinds of things.
I actually have a few projects I’d like to complete over the next week or so, and I (miraculously!) have all the supplies I need to do them. So it’s really a matter of getting up and doing it. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I’ll have a few crafty posts for ya. : )
But anyway, back to the craftiness at hand. I needed a new wreath for my front door because I still had my Christmas wreath up. I’m hanging my head in shame right now. I’m fully aware that it’s mid-February, but I just hadn’t taken in down yet. (I know it’s closer to late February than mid-February, but cut me a little slack. Please?)
Here are a couple of pictures of wreaths that I liked. I wanted something simple but still really cute and fun. And color! I love color and it just makes me happy.
 
I really like this spring wreath with the fringed yarn that looks like grass. 
 
I LOVE the pinwheels on this wreath. I might do something like this for another wreath (minus the bike wheel). Maybe the Fourth of July?
 
This is the one that I ultimately referred to as my guide/inspiration. I really like the texture of burlap. : )
 
I couldn’t/didn’t want to spend much on this wreath, and the only thing I actually ended up having to buy was the wreath form. It ended up being something like $2.75 because I had one of those wonderful Hobby Lobby coupons. God bless craft coupons.
 
The whole project would have probably only taken me an hour or so if I had worked on it non-stop. But even with breaks to get munsters snacks, bundle munsters up to play in the snow, and stopping munsters from killing each other, I got it done in less than a day. Super simple and easy. Just how I like it!
 
My munsters playing in the snow : ) What's a snow fort without a pink flag?
 
 
I started out by just wrapping my wreath form in strips of burlap and hot-gluing them in place. Then I busted out my fabric scraps, pinking shears and twine and cut out my mini bunting. I considered attaching the little ‘flags’ to ribbon rather than twine, but I liked the texture and the natural look of the hemp twine.
 
 
Once I attached the two strands of bunting, I knew that it needed something more to really pop. I considered adding an ‘S’ to the bottom for our last name, but something about it didn’t look right. Then I remembered that I wanted to try Katie Bower’s fabric flower tutorial, and voila!
 
 
 
I’m so happy with the finished product! It even inspired me to clean my front door and storm door windows! In hindsight, I maybe should have bought a larger wreath form, but I’m not too worried about it. I fully subscribe to The Nester’s philosophy: it doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful. Especially since perfection can be so hard to achieve!!
 
 
 

13 comments:

  1. This is so cute! It makes me ready for spring. :) I love the colors you chose for your bunting. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Whitney! I raided my scraps for those and made a HUGE mess, but I needed bright colors! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute wreath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had fun making it and I've already gotten a few compliments on it! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. That turned out REALLY well! May have to whip up a wreath like this for the spring. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisa! It was so easy and like I said, could *potentially* be knocked out fairly quickly :) Thanks for checking it out!

      Delete
  5. So cute!! Hey, when your blog was coming up on my computer, I was thinking, "How the heck did my blog get attached to this picture (Young House Love)?" Well, we happen to have chosen THE SAME blog template!! Great minds think alike!! :) -Kim solaceamidthechaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny! I clicked over to your blog just now and it's kind of a trip to see my background popping up! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. That turned out great! I have a grassy-looking one pinned too but I may have to follow your lead and go with the burlap. I love the way it looks. And your flowers...and your bunting... Ok, I just love it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie - That is so nice! I really liked the grassy-looking one I had pinned. It felt so spring-y and ready for sunshine and warm weather. But I decided to go with what I had on hand and in the end I'm so happy with it! I'm so glad you stopped by and good luck with your 'wreathing'! :)

      Delete
  7. So cute!! Love it!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny - Thanks so much! I just clicked over to your blog and it looks like I could spend a LOT of time there :) I love the way you have it all organized! I really need to figure out how to get a little more organization here on this ol' blog of mine. One of these days :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS