Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Romance of Shanghai Noon



Alright, so we all know that Shanghai Noon is not a romantic movie. But in this case, it’s the start of something romantic. Which is basically the same thing.


About 13 years ago in February 2002, I hung out with this super-hot guy named Landon for the first time. We had just attended an indoor football tournament at our church and my sister and her husband had invited a bunch of people over to their apartment for pizza and a movie. So there’s this guy there. And he looks like AC Slater, but way better because there wasn’t a mullet in sight. 


I had a cough hanging on from a cold (story of my life) and kept cough/laughing at all the funny parts. This dude, being the awesome catch that he was, asked me if he could get me anything. I knew all the funny lines to the movie because I had seen it once before and I have a freakish memory for movie lines. And since I am also that annoying person who quotes the funny lines before they happen, he was amazed at my awesomeness. Obviously. 

By the end of the night, he was totally on my radar as ‘that super cute and super nice guy from Shanghai Noon.’ The romance is almost overwhelming, huh? ;)

We went on to many more romantic outings together before we started officially dating three months later. Third Day concert with our college group from church, midnight showings of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings with friends (yes, we are that cool), and countless games of pitch in his dorm with all his friends in Martin Hall. 

We got to know each other over movies and cards, laughter and goofiness, and time spent surrounded by our friends. I can’t think of a better way to fall in love. 

This was after we'd been married a few years, but look how young we looked!
On our second date, he lit candles all around his apartment and we danced to Frank Sinatra. I got my wisdom teeth pulled and he brought me a Frosty and a Disney Princess spoon. Every Monday night after our church college group we would go back to my apartment and bake cinnamon rolls and watch a movie with my roommate. Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Mission: Impossible. We had fun together!

It hasn’t been all hearts and glamour and kisses and smiles, but I love our story. This isn’t even the half of it and I hope to write more down, but I think it’s a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS