Thursday, March 17, 2011

Show Me Some Green : )

I’ve never been terribly great with money. I’m more of a spender than a saver. Not that I have a lot of expensive things—it’s more of a ‘spend it here and there’ tendency. We’re really bad about spending money eating out. I mean, yeah it may only be $3 for ice cream at Dairy Queen but that all adds up, right?

So anyway, after deciding that I’m tired of wondering where all of our money goes (if anyone has any ideas I’d love to hear them) I have made a pledge to pay much closer attention to all of my dollars. I definitely should have made this pledge years ago, but it’s never too late to start! (That may not be true, but it’s what I keep telling myself.) : )

On Tuesday morning while the girls and I were killing time out of the house so the realtors could do a walk-through, we went downtown to Fashion Encore, one the consignment stores here in town. I’ve been going nuts the past couple of months cleaning out closets and such and have taken a number of bags down there to have them sell for me, but I haven’t taken a lot of time to look and see if they’ve got anything I could use for our family. Might as well give it a shot, huh?

When we walked in, the girls made a beeline for the basket of stuffed animals and I made my way to the baby clothes. With all the mega changes we’ve had going on lately, our finances are pretty tight and I feel like I haven’t been able to get special things and prepare for our little Bug #3 the way I did with the girls. So I thought maybe I could find something semi-cute for a reasonable price.

I did even better than I’d hoped! I found a couple of brand new items and a few that were in really great condition. And since absolutely everything in the store was on sale, I got a couple of really great deals. And let me tell you, 75% off all red and purple tagged items is nothing to sneeze at. : )

So here’s what I got. I’m pretty pumped if you can’t tell!


Brand new Beatles onesie for our little boy. There are several people in our family excited about this. Miss Eden’s excited because she loves listening to the Beatles, Sissy’s excited because Eden’s excited, Uncle Bug’s excited because he’s also a big Beatles fan (and is primarily responsible for Eden’s obsession) and Mr. Bug is loving it because it’s Beatles AND it doesn’t have any frogs, turtles or dinosaurs on it. I like it because of the obvious hold The Fab Four have on my family, but also because it was only a DOLLAR!


Brand new sweater vest. Another find for the little guy and should fit him right as we head into fall.


Onesie. Not terribly interesting but considering this is all the girls wore for the first month or two of their lives I figured having one or two extra couldn’t hurt.


A coming home outfit. I haven’t been able to find anything for him that I really like except for one outfit at Target which was too expensive and they didn’t have in a newborn size anyway. : )


Little fleece hoodie. These things are perfect to go over everything. And they can usually wear them for a while—not just for the sizing that’s on the tag since it doesn’t have to be a perfect fit.


A shirt for Sissy. Okay, this one isn’t for Baby Bug but St. Patrick’s Day was looming and it was only $1. Sue me.

Altogether, I ended up spending $17.12 with tax on all of these items. Not bad, huh?! And the best part? I actually had a check for $17.30 waiting for me there for some items of mine they had sold so it’s like I didn’t spend a dime! Take that, recession! I can handle this. : )

Now if I could just sell my house and have this baby, I could really take over the world.


Here's Sissy Bell chilling in the car after our shopping excursion. Yes she IS wearing two pairs of sunglasses. Upside-down. She's awesome like that. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS