Wednesday, April 18, 2012

There Are Pigs Flying Over a Frozen Lake of Fire...


Yes. It’s the end of the world. Life as we know it will never be the same. And here’s why—there is a teeny tiny little glimmer of hope that I might one day be an organized person. I have become completely obsessed with the organizing blog IHeart Organizing. Seriously obsessed. And I am actively trying to put some of her tips to good use in my little abode.



Feast your eyes on this: my junk drawer. Also home to a few lucky kitchen utensils, pens and markers, and other mostly random stuff. This is obviously the ‘before’ picture; if this were the ‘after’ picture the whole post would just make everyone reading it depressed. : )


Also slightly depressing is the countertop directly above this drawer. It is a definite dumping ground for all sorts of things like mail, Eden's school papers, coupons, etc. The thing that’s kind of funny is that I remember setting a stack of papers there on the day we moved in and thinking, “Maybe just dumping this stuff here isn’t such a good idea.” Ah, well. Live and learn. I’ll get to that counter soon.

Anywho, I took about ten minutes last week and emptied out the drawer. After I got all the crap stuff out of it I vacuumed it all out to give myself a clean canvas. I was this close to getting out some pretty wrapping paper to line the drawer with, but I stopped myself. We’re only going to be in this apartment for another month-and-a-half. I don’t want to waste the paper. (Me? Cheap? Why yes. Yes I am.)

After weeding out all the stuff that shouldn’t have been there to begin with and being a little more choosy about what I really need to save (Domino’s parmesan cheese packets anyone?) I started slowly putting things back in.


So here’s what I ended up with: rubber spatulas share space with my can opener and pizza cutter. Mr. Ice Cream Scoop resides nearby, along with my orange peeler, wine opener, and mixing utensils. The outlet plugs are right there in the kitchen so that it’s easy to grab them if I somehow lose one while vacuuming, and those little blue packets are for the kiddos to add to their little water bottles to ‘magically’ turn them into juice. Landon’s iPhone case sleeps in there when it isn’t on his phone, and batteries and playing cards camp there too.

I will be the first to admit that this still seems a little haphazard and random, but it’s a big improvement over where we were. Take a look at the ‘before’ picture again. Seriously. Gives you shivers, doesn’t it?

All that to say that I am trying to be more organized. I don’t have matching baskets and dividers and gorgeous labels for everything (although I’m working on that) but I think that I’m just tired of having stuff tossed everywhere. I may share my progress and I may not, but I will be working on it. : ) Let me know if you have any tips for me! I can use all the help I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS