Saturday, September 15, 2012

Success Guaranteed


*Shameless plug – I now have ads in my sidebar! So if you’re bored (which you obviously are if you're hanging out here) you should click on them. Seriously, I could use the $.02 : )*

You know how I like to be all philosophical and shtuff? Yeah, I know. I’m totally deep. Well I got a text from my mom the other day and it fired up my philosophicality. (New word alert)

This was her basic text:
Just heard this quote, “What would you do if you knew you could not fail?” That’s not the first time I’ve heard that but it really hits a chord right now. Just had to share it with you. What would YOU do…seriously? I’d write a book.

This is my sister. I'm totally kidding this is Doris Day. My sister wishes. : )
As I do with all important thoughts that run through my head, I asked my older sister what her answer would be. Hers was simple but I knew it was important to her: to go back to teaching. She’s been home with her two sons since her oldest was born just over four years ago. It’s a hard adjustment—going from someone who is very good at a rewarding job to someone who gets pooped and peed on all the time. And spit up. Oh, the yak that came out of her oldest. It was amazing. But I digress.

Anywho, my gut reaction was that I also wanted to write a book. I’ve always wanted to write a book. When I was younger I wanted to write some kind of mystery or love story. Something superficial and fun. If I were to write a book now, I would want to write something candid, the way I write this blog. Something that would resonate with people and hopefully help them.

But just for kicks and giggles, and to occupy my time while I finished my giant bag of BBQ chips, I kept going. If I knew without a doubt that I would not fail, what would I do? There are the noble answers like cure cancer, stop world hunger, end the slave trade, and all manner of truly serious things. But for me, I tried to stick to dreams within my smaller realm of vision.

This is exactly what I would look like at a book signing. Gotta love Gwyneth!
I decided I would split up my ‘big’ achievement into a few smaller ones. I would get in shape and become more healthy (which I could do anyway if I laid off those stupid chips), I would be wiser with my money and get out of debt, and I would love it if I could write something and have it affect people. Really affect them and make them think about their own lives.

I love writing this blog and getting to completely spill my guts here. I would venture to say that I’m more myself on this blog than I am at any time in real life, except with my husband. When I’m writing on here, I don’t have to think about funny looks I get from people if I’m being a little too candid, I don’t have to hear the silence when no one laughs at my jokes, and I can get all of my thoughts out before I get interrupted. It’s heavenly.

I guess the reason I’m thinking about all of this is because I really didn’t have an answer to my ‘dream question’ and I was wondering what some of yours would be.

So here’s the question:
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Tell me! I really want to know! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS