Sunday, January 13, 2013

Puttin' My Crafty Pants On: Crib Spring Memo Board


Judah has recently decided that it would be a good idea to start climbing out of his crib. Because he doesn’t think I should ever sleep well again. And the truth is I know that I should have been really concerned about him falling and hurting himself. I was concerned—I’m mean, I’m human and not completely heartless—but once I got past that I was actually really excited.

Granted, now I have to worry about keeping him in his toddler bed, which has proven to be basically impossible. Oh and yes, and he rolled out of his bed three times the first night he slept in it. Apparently he got really used to those rails on the sides of his crib. So there are certain problems that arise when your munchkin starts climbing out of the crib, but there’s one really big pro. Ready? Wait for it…Wait for it…


Crib spring memo board!! I saw this idea in January 2011 on one of my favorite blogs, The Handmade Home. I was instantly in love and slightly irritated with the little munster in my belly (I was pregnant with Judah Bear at the time) for delaying my ability to delight in this awesomeness.

On the blog, Ashley cut a frame for the spring out of MDF to give it a more finished and polished look. I, on the other hand, do not have easy access to power tools, the motivation to learn to use them even if I did, or the ability to convince Mr. Bug that he needs to do any of that for me.

My solution? Take advantage of my wonderful husband (not like that! Get your minds out of the gutter!) and allow him to take the girls to run errands/kill time with him for a whole afternoon. I tossed Judah in bed for a nap, turned on an episode of The Kennedys, and got to work.

I had some plain white fabric lying around leftover from an old project. Well, maybe it was purchased for a project I never finished. Either way I had it. : ) I just tore it into strips, fired up the glue gun and went to work wrapping around and around the outside of the spring until the whole thing was covered. I briefly considered using a fun and colorful fabric, but decided that since I hoped to put colorful things on it, I should probably go with simple. Also, I already had the fabric so I didn’t want to spend more money or wait to find just the right fabric.

It probably took me less than two yards of the white fabric to get it wrapped all the way around. That and about three hundred glue sticks. Those things go fast! By the time I finished my Kennedys episode plus half of the pilot for Eli Stone (what can I say? I needed some noise) I was done. And since it is fairly light I just used Mr. Bug’s level to hang three small nails aaannnd…BOOM goes the dynamite!




Thar she blows! I dressed her up all nice and purty with some pictures I had lying around leftover from a couple of Christmas projects (I’ll tell you more about those later) and my magnets that I made a few weeks ago. I also used my handy dandy glue gun to attach some of the letters that my sister got the kids for Christmas. They’re super cute letters and the munsters love them, but I love them on here. We’ve got a letter on here for everyone plus the ‘S’ for our last name.



I am so happy with how it turned out. I may add a couple of fabric flowers to it as some point, but I really like the white fabric frame against the light light blue of the walls. And I think it takes care of this big blank space on the dinette wall perfectly. Or maybe that’s the breakfast nook. Dining room? Place where the kitchen table is. Yeah, that’s it. We’re fancy like that.


I’ve got more plans for the head and foot of the crib so hopefully I’ll be able to get that done sometime in the next…sometime. : ) Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS